Friday, May 6, 2011

Renewal

I thought I knew what spring was, but I was wrong. I’ve heard about the whole renewal business, but living in Florida spring has always looked a lot like summer but a little (very little) cooler. I was baffled by why people were so intrigued by it.
Until I lived it.
When I first moved to Dream State, I really thought fall was my favorite season. What with the cooler weather and pretty leaves. Apple cider, apple butter, bonfires, and smores all helped. Then winter came. And while I wasn’t thrilled with the transition from 70 degree weather to 40s, the snow was amazing. I did a lot of playing in the snow, watching the snow, looking at all the leaves and blades of grass covered in ice. Learning what freezing rain is. All amazing.
I’m not being sarcastic here by the way. I really thought winter was overall pretty amazing.
Eventually with no more hope of snow and a string of way too many days in the 40s, I was ready for summer.
What I wasn’t expecting was spring. Which, as I implied, was pretty much a throw-away season in the south. But here, it’s meant the smallest daintiest of leaves I’ve ever seen. Tulips on top of tulips on top of tulips (aka my favorite flowers). And then the blooms of all sorts of flowers from the bushes to the tree tops. All sorts of colors, shapes, and smells.
In the course of experiencing spring, I’ve also begun thinking about my own renewal. Whether I’ve been taking good enough care of myself, of my little family, of my relationships with others. And, I’d say in most all cases I’ve been kind of not taking terribly good care of anyone or anything.
Since my birthday, I’ve decided to have Birthday resolutions (seeing as how I don’t really believe in New Year’s resolutions). Among other things, I’ve resolved to drink more water and take my vitamins. (This is actually much harder than you’d think). I’ve also begun being more conscious of how I speak to PC, the support I give him, and the appreciation I have for the things he does do for me (I still make task lists so we can track what still needs to be done). I also want to get to a better place financially – better budgeting, more conscientious of where the money goes, greater awareness into retirement and savings – which admittedly stems in part from my living in Dream State in which the cost of living is significantly higher than what we’re used to and in part due to all the really cool things there are to do here.
All in all, it’s time for a rebirth of sorts – much like I had hoped for when starting fresh here for blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment