Saturday, May 28, 2011

Is it a deal or a bad idea?

I'm debating laser hair removal. It's one of those things I'd never seriously considered because...well it's expensive and seems superfluous. I mean is shaving really all that hard?

Granted, I'm a 1-2 times a week kind of leg shaver - not cause I'm lucky, mostly cause I'm lazy. And, PC doesn't complain.

Anyway, as I've gotten older I've grown some rogue hairs. In the facial region. Up till now, they've been sporadic and required a every-few-weeks pluck. But something has changed or I dipped my face in Rogaine, because it's become a nearly every day ordeal. Ugh!

Needless to say, it's really cutting into my FB time. Though more seriously, I am scared to death that I'm going to end up like my great grandmother. My lasting memory of her was in the hospital, her stomach was bloated, there were lots of wires, and she had a full chin of whiskers. And, who in their right mind would shave that when she's there on her death bed? It seems rude. I was probably 10 at the time.

That said, I do not want to be that woman on her death bed with a face full of whiskers. I'm not entirely sure I can trust PC to do hair removal in the hospital when we're 90 (ok, I'd be 90, he'd be 95).

So here we are. Laser hair removal. I've read all about it, all the questions to ask...and then there's this coupon for a local place (think groupon but local). For $50, you get 3 sessions of a small area.

I mean my God, for $50 it's almost worth getting just to see what happens - worst case, I'm still fuzzy. Best case, less plucking.

But then you know what happens, right? $50, a life time of not worrying about hair...and then you might think...maybe I could get two and get my underarms done too. Cause that...that's a freaking hassle with the every other day of shaving (I have my limits about areas that can be fuzzy) and the deodorant in the blades no matter how much I scrub under there in advance.

The other deal going on the same service on for-real-groupon is $147. It weirds me out a little that there's such a price difference for the same service (though the expensive one is more convenient, the other requires more energy and planning to get to). But, from the other perspective...if the $50 place is a crap hole...it's not like I'll be physically marred for the rest of my life, just still fuzzy...right? Seems like $100 (for two) is a small price to pay for the possibility of no facial hair and naked underarms.

I've read the yelp reviews on the $50 place. There's 4. Three glowing, one not.

What are your thoughts? I have 12 hours before the deal is gone...

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had my face done - though I'm in the same boat as you, used to have a few rogue, now it seems that every time I'm pmsing (yes, obviously that counts for it...) I grow 6 and they are black and gross and I hate seeing them... But, I've been getting lazer done for a few years now in other regions... underarms and hoo-ha. LOVE it. The underarms have been irritating, more difficult for long-term results, but no more than 15% has come back overall. I usually go back once a year before a trip for a 'touch-up' but overall, I'm happy. Granted, I have dark features, so I'm the type that could shave twice a day... ya... lucky me...

    ReplyDelete