Wednesday, May 12, 2010

You can put a bow on it

I had a friend confide in me last night about what she thinks is 'a little crush'. Someone she describes as a good friend, who makes her laugh and whom she can lean on, and whom she might have seen a picture his, um, apparatus because he sent it to her on a bet. Someone she talks to more than daily, sees quite regularly, and actually took it pretty hard when she found out he has a girlfriend of convenience in his hometown.

Which is all fine and dandy, except she's married. And, not to the crush.

I tried very hard to listen without judgement, to provide advice as to why this might be happening, and to be the friend she clearly needs to talk this all through. But, the more I listen, the more I know she's rationalizing and I worry that I'm giving her the feeling of approval (as opposed to neutrality).

I know I don't know what's going on in her marriage. From the outside they've always been amazing together.

And, I'm not judging. I know that sometimes relationships don't work. I believe that sometime you can accidentally fall in love. I think that sometimes you just know.

But in this case I think she's playing with fire.

You can dress it up and put a bow on it, but if you can't tell your husband about it and have to start implementing passwords, it's cheating.

No comments:

Post a Comment