Sunday, May 16, 2010

Tri-pondering

Driving home yesterday, I began pondering.

And, even as I pondered, I dual tasked by a second level of pondering in which I realized I've been driving to/from work and errands in silence to ponder - sometime about what I will do at work, what I did at work, or whatever random thing - and am kinda enjoying it. But, a third level of pondering being why it is I've become so introspective lately - which I haven't come to a conclusion about.

Anyway, back to the first level.

First level pondering realized I've really begun focusing on becoming healthier and wealthier and perhaps because I am wiser?

From a healthier perspective, I've begun trying some new foods. Partially because - why the hell not? And, partially because I'm trying to widen my repertoire of foods. And, partially because I'm intrigued by the idea that different colored foods offer different types of nutrition.

So, a couple weeks back now I tried some eggplant. I think it's a fun shape and a fun color. Even as I dropped it into my cart I had no idea what I was going to do with it. PC, quizzed me on it remarking he's not a fan of it unless it's fried - which we can't really do with the whole WW thing. I could see the hope cross his face as it dropped into the cart that he wasn't home when I decided to make it so he didn't have to endure whatever concoction I made up.

He wasn't. And, despite the funness of a new ingredient - can't say I was overwhelmed with it. Which is unfortunate. May or may not try it again.

The second healthy food I tried out more recently was quinoa. I'd bought a bag probably a year ago and then quickly lost interest in trying it out. But, last week in the midst of playing my own personal game of 'how long can I live off my supplies without having to go to the grocery store', I decided to make it.*

I'd say generally speaking it's a neutral food. It seems to take on whatever you make with it - much like a rice or a couscous - as opposed to being the main show on the plate. It also seems to be a cross between say rice and grits and caviar. Fat like rice, round like grits, and an interesting pop like caviar on the side of sushi. I also tried it heated up for breakfast with a little almond milk and brown sugar type sprinkles.

But, as the pondering continued I gave myself a little mental pat on the back that in my experimentation in the kitchen I was inadvertently (or maybe purposely) being a healthier person.

* I made it a week without buying anything new, which I think speaks to the freaking ridiculous amount of crap we've built up in the house.

2 comments:

  1. check out Epicurious.com for food recipes. Next time, add eggplant to Lasagna.. or slice it up, grill it & add some mozzarella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love eggplant. Husband fries it up for us, or I'll roast a whole bunch of veggies with a balsamic glass (topped with feta) or I've put it in pasta dishes (including lasagna). When we eat out, I'll look for dishes with eggplant. good stuff.

    ReplyDelete