Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Feels like cheating

I know that there's new gadgets used by recruiters for identifying key words from a resume to reduce the number or resumes that they have to look for in a quick and efficient way. But, that doesn't make me feel any less like I'm cheating when I rewrite a resume to include the very same words in the hope I won't get cut out of the initial swipe.

I also don't understand why organizations are able to ask what your prior salary was. I mean I get that they are probably looking for a range of what you're willing to take. But, in this situation when I'm looking in another (more expensive) city, I'm not willing to take less that 20k more that my current salary. So, I entered my salary requirements because it offered a range, but did not enter the start/ending pay ranges for my prior jobs.

Hoping that doesn't get me knocked out either...

3 comments:

  1. I don't think it's cheating, it's smart working.
    I was asked what my best year was at my previous firm when interviewing for this. I added 10k to the number which was actual, and that ended up being the base salary they offered.
    If they truly want you, they'll pay.
    I couldn't be much happier, and you'll get it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my sad attempt to get back to blogging, I found your new blog before I realized your old one was gone. Whoops. I'm definitely interested in hearing how this navigating the real working world goes, though, as hopefully soon-ish I'll be doing the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing. Those stupid questions at the end of applications that are used to weed people out? I always give the "right" answer. Of COURSE I have experience doing this....even though what I really mean is my skills are transferable to what they want.

    ReplyDelete