Tuesday, August 2, 2011

That's unfortunate

The search for friends continue. We went out this weekend to a group movie (but ended up being late so had to sit by ourselves). Then, as a spur of the moment decision followed the movie with going on a group walk through a historic part of the town we were in.

I don't want to say these people are boring...but really, I would be ok to not hang out with them again.

That said, I recognized a guy I had met on a group walk when I first arrived to Dream State. Also known as the time before PC had moved here. I recall we'd had a good conversation and introduced PC to him. At the end of the walk, the group was planning to go for dinner but the other guy recommended we bail and go for drinks.

Phew. A way better option.

All in all, good night. Irish bar. Lots of cider and beer. Live music. Good conversation.

Eventually we headed out, with me thinking we were all walking back to public transportation (other guys lives a significant distance away). However, he said he was going to wander around and see what else there was to see.

I interpret this as code for - I'm bailing on you guys too.

I said to PC as we walked back to the public transportation that I thought it was an awfully far way for a single guy to go out to pick up women.

PC responded "Well, he had really thought he was picking you up. He didn't figure out we were together until we all left the group that was going to dinner."

Huh. That's too bad. Another friend-potential down.

Who knew coupledom was going to be a friend-liability?

4 comments:

  1. I still need to get up to dream state to visit you, we're not that far away. Maybe I can convince my special friend to take a trip sometime. Not that we'd count as local friends, but this post reminded me we're not far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( Wish we lived closer. Though I saw that and think, how hilarious it could be if you then wrote a post about how boring hubby and I are! We have a hard time finding people as well, so I always relate to these posts. I think many people assume that since you have each other, you shouldn't need anything else. That's what we run into. "Well don't you do stuff with your spouse?" Sure, but every living breathing moment? Only because we have to, beacuse there aren't others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got hit on with your boyfriend. That's hilarious ;)
    Have you tried to find some hobbies for some like-minded individuals?
    I'd go for drinks with you! If you know, I knew you in real life... and well... we lived in the same country ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. El - yes you do.
    Rented life - we do love spending time together and really, I'd be totally fine just us. I just worry that someday we might get bored of each other and some friends might stave that off for longer. Well, not bored of each other exactly...I'm not sure how to say what I mean on that one.
    k - yes, I think it happens more often than he'd like. And, it probably happens more often than I'm aware. See the hobbies post following this regarding my (and our) utter lack of hobbies beyond drinking. And thank you for offering to go for drinks. :)

    ReplyDelete