Saturday, August 6, 2011

In search of a hobby

I have a problem that you're probably going to roll your eyes at. I have zero hobbies. I've spent so much of my adult life in school in which school was my 'hobby' that I never developed a hobby.*

Unless, of course, you consider drinking and being analytical a hobby.

I've tried this bit about being a mixologist. While fun, the problem is that it's difficult to have every liquor and ingredient a given recipe calls for...and I often lose interest once I realize it calls for a trip to a store. Furthermore, I find that I have zero knack for making up drinks. Usually when I throw a couple things together...it's disgusting.  PC on the other hand does this and has amazing drinks we have a hard time replicating because it's a dash of this and that. On top of all these barriers, it's hard to practice too terribly much because you end up drunk.

I suppose this is the partial goal...but it's a real bitch to perfect the skill after a few rounds in.

PC thinking cooking is my hobby. I suppose. I do really like to cook. He's commented that he doesn't think we've ever had the same meal in all the years we've dated. In many accounts this is probably true. Even something as simple as a hamburger is likely to get some new additions each time we make them. Because I like food, I can generally add things here and there that just make sense to me...and taste pretty good on the completed side.

Mind you, I don't make fancy stuff for the most part...mostly because I really hate working from recipes entirely. I also don't bake much because I think that's more of a science...chemical reactions make things fluff up, not fluff up, etc.

That said, I don't think of cooking as a hobby because it's mostly just me and PC that eat it...and it's usually a meal of some sort...which makes it a relatively fun chore.

This chore concern came to a head last week when on our group walk the topic of hobbies came up. And I had nothing.

As a good researcher, I immediately came home and researched hobby options.

I hate games (chess, cards, computer games), I don't have the room for collecting (nor am I fascinated enough with anything to collect anything), and I have no yard (gardening could be an option though beyond planting and picking, I don't know that I'd like getting into the science of fertilizer).  And, as I mentioned I don't see cooking as a hobby.

So what to hob?

PC came up with the idea of bath bombs. It's a nice combination of 'cooking' with an outcome that could be kind of cool and won't make us fat or drunk.

From my research so far, I might be a little behind on this hobby since almost all the blogs I've found on the topic are from about several years back (see here, here, here). Alas. I've gotten my baking soda and received my order of citric acid...now I'm just waiting for my molds to arrive and I'll be ready to play at my new hobby. I've also ordered a couple books (one is admittedly on making popsicles, another 'hobby' that PC requested) to learn how to make bath bombs as well as other natural bath products.

If you know me in RL, don't be surprised if you get some of these for random holidays. :)

I should note that as a result of my searches for my new 'hobby' I discovered homemade dry dog shampoo recipes. Since our pup has been rather stinky and I don't have the energy to take her to be bathed and groomed...I tried it out. Freaking amazing. No dog smell. Natural so I don't worry if she decides to eat the left overs off the floor (how desperate must one be to lick the carpet to get at baking soda, salt, and corn starch?). And, I happened to have all the ingredients without a trip to the store (an important component of my not losing interest).

Um, and it worked pretty well on the cat as well.

*And apparently because I have no plan for kids, I have an exorbinant amount of time on my hands that others find annoying.

2 comments:

  1. I do not have hobbies either. It's hard to make reading a hobby (too much is for work) or movie watching. Husband is always concerned, as I should have hobbies, but I think part of the problem is I spend so much time alone, that the idea of a hobby...alone...is draining.

    I loved my garden and totally miss it, but I didn't do much in terms of fertilizer. One year I put some lime down to counteract the pine trees and it helped, and for a few years I experiemented with natural cat litter to soften the clay that is everywhere in my state. (It worked.) I'd rather plant and design though.

    good luck with the bath bombs. My mom used to make soap and we all loved it...maybe that's in your future? I'd totally buy some homemade soap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PC's sister does homemade soaps (we have enough soap to last us years because we tend to use liquid) so I probably shouldn't compete :)

    ReplyDelete