Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Missing my rock

I seem to be floating on a river of highs and lows as I explore this new job and new city. I am both completely in love with the newness of it all - being a city girl, being on my own even if only temporarily, meeting new people, going to new places....and completely overwhelmed by the newness.

Case in point.

Went to a huge market and fish market this weekend. Required using metros I've not yet used, walking on streets not yet traveled...and resulted in my seeing shrimp that were as big as my hand. Seriously. Look at the palm of your hand. That big.

I've been around when it comes to seafood, and this was a shock that such a thing exists. A thing which I can buy and eat in my very own home.

Also went out with a bunch of girls - yes, strangers through meetup.com - and found a fantastic tapas place and a cool Irish bar with live music. I am infatuated by the fact that I pretty much will never have to worry about drinking and driving so long as I live in this city. Drink + metro = safety (- number of homeless people who are less drunk than  you).

But the truth is, one can only handle so much newness before they crave what is known and comfortable.

And, when I found myself lost with only 20 minutes to return a zipcar without a late fee of $50 (which would probably KILL me to have to pay) and a phone GPS that kept changing her fucking mind about where I should turn and adding another 5 minutes to my return time...I nearly lost it.

Not the car, my sanity.

I ultimately made it, but I can tell you that 'by the skin of your teeth' isn't fun. At all. 

I know that it is out of his control that he's not here, and I know that I have a flight booked to return home next week for our 2 year anniversary vacation...but I miss my rock. I miss what is comfortable. And it is hard not to wish I was home. Especially knowing how much work it was to make Dream State my home. I am mad that I am having to go through this adjustment alone.

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand what you mean about "one can only handle so much newness...". I felt like that when I moved to a new city. I was tired of hanging out with people that I didn't really know...feeling lost everywhere...

    It gets better when the new things become familiar and when you find a new core group.

    ReplyDelete