Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Thinking not required

Mission be-a-rockstar-long-enough-to-create-reputation-so-as-to-slack-for-the-rest-of-my-career is freaking exhausting.

Showing up to work on time.
Turning work in before I'm even asked for it.
Accepting feedback that is unrequested with grace
Redoing work that is brilliant to make it less brilliant without complaint.

Just to name a few things I've been doing for the last few days.

Spent the day in hours and hours of meetings hearing about all the problems within the organization (because it is my job) was also exhausting but in a sick way extremely exciting.

Yay, job security!

I will say, however, one thing I hate the most in a job is fake authority and autonomy. There is little worse than being asked to do something, given full latitude to do it however I see fit...and then after turning in the resultant masterpiece, being told directly how to do it based on what was obviously a clear picture of how it should be done prior to assignment.

Here's the thing, I don't mind doing mindless work. You have a vision, I will carry it out...but please don't make me think when I don't have to. I have facebook statuses that I could be using that mental energy to comment on.

Interestingly, this situation seems reflected throughout the organization based on what I heard today.

Extra yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment