Thursday, September 16, 2010

Awkward

There's a bit of a 'situation' at work. As time goes on, the more I think about it, the more I tilt my head and have to wonder.

There's this person at work. About my age, outgoing, a little brash...and someone I took to almost immediately. Seems well intended, motivated (though perhaps for nontraditional reasons).

Then there's the superior (I need a good name, because I sense this will be a regular character). Due to some common ground, we went out for a few drinks. We discovered we had even more in common as it comes to our approach to work.*

Over several more drinks, on top of the other drinks, we begin talking about things we probably shouldn't be. And by that, I mean work. Work gossip and dynamics to be specific.

On my own defense, I will admit I encouraged the conversation because I very much need the intel on who has power, why people behave the way they do (some already somewhat protective of knowledge), and how to move up in my organization.

My guess is that Superior continued to feed me drinks as well, because she wanted to know more about me and probably get a bit of dirt on me...if I'm reading her right anyway.

Unfortunately, I was cognizant enough to know this was probably the intent, but drunk enough to think I could withstand the questions.

But here's the more important situation of the moment. Superior admitted to me that the first girl I mentioned (the one I'd taken to) was someone I should avoid at all costs to not only move up in the organization but also to stay in the organization. Allegedly, my new 'friend' is being watched for a way to move her out of the organization (to put it the PC way). Superior is allegedly concerned that in building a friendship with this person, I could either get a bad rep through association or get pulled into the mess inadvertantly.

My take on this conversation at first was to be greatful that someone is watching out for me and helping me navigate the politics. Though admittedly, I wasn't too thrilled about it because it's like being told that you can't play with the one friend you made on your first week of kindergarten.

The next week comes around - I'm still feeling guilty for having lost my liquor control around Superior - and I get called into her office. The same story of warning is repeated...but this time I'm asked to be a professional and not discuss the information she shared with me to coworker.

As I answered to Supervisor - I have no allegance to any particular other employees so it's in my best interest to keep my mouth shut and move up the chain. But oddly the more I thought about the situation...the more I realized how out of line Superior was. Superior had no real business to share the information with me.

Now it's kind of awkaward for all of us. I'm scared to talk to her or be seen out, and she can't figure out why I'ver become so quite with her.

2 comments:

  1. Aw man, I hate when your only friend is that person you should stay away from. I've totally been in that situation before! BOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of ironic that she's telling you to "be a professional". She definitely isn't a model of professionalism.

    ReplyDelete