Thursday, September 30, 2010

Walking in the rain

There's certain things you see in movies and sitcoms that I just assume were put in there for dramatic effect. Apparently, that scene where the person walking down the sidewalk in the rain who's just barely holding it all together with their umbrella and bag as they pick their way through puddles and the bus drives by with a huge wall of dirty street water that hits said person...is true.

Ok, in truth I wouldn't say it was actually a huge wall of water but rather a solid annoying splash that landed on the arm of my coat. But still. I lived the scene. Up to this point, I've been extremely entertained by this whole metro-walking commuting business. Opting even to walk the 15-20 minutes from the metro to my training site this week because it was nice weather and sneaky exercise.

I've have clearly been spoiled by the weather. I now understand the need for rain shoes.

It is funny to me that I've spent 99% of my life living in a state known for lighting (and therefore rain), and it is not until I moved to Dream State that an umbrella became a regular item in my bag and that I'm now actively searching for a rain coat and rain boots.

Add to that, I made some funny comment on FB about the puddle scene this morning and a Dream State friend congratulated me on my initiation to the puddles and warned me of the upcoming cold rainy season.

So what I want to know, is what one looks for in a rain boot. Here's two that I'm considering.

Quilted faux-shirling lined boots. Admittedly, LLBean makes me think: frumpy, unfashionable. But, with the potential for cold snow, and rain...this seems like something that looks semi-attractive while being safe and functional.

Conversely, these and these seem more fun and significantly cheaper. Of course, then I worry that 'fun' isn't really the look I'm going for now that I'm  professional verging on my mid-30's.

What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment