Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What would it hurt?

I don't understand why a supervisor would tell you that there is no point in doing a particular task that is an inherent part of doing our job well. It has happened twice in the past month.

Ok, I understand from the perspective that our field isn't well appreciated in our workplace so perhaps the results of the task would not be fully appreciated. But if it doesn't cost more, won't effect my ability to do other work, and it's the right thing to do...what does it hurt?

There may be any number of reasons that our field is not valued in our organization - but I don't think we're doing ourselves any favors by not doing what defines us as valuable. I'd like to believe that someday a need will arise that we can address, that will showcase our value, and that we have prepared to be in the spotlight and represent.

That said, I am working nights to get the task done despite the supervisor's lack of support. I refuse to let someone else's apathy and learned-helplessness prevent me from doing my job to the best of my ability. I believe in it, and I feel bound to do it if only because of the training I'd received in all of my 9 years of grad school.

No comments:

Post a Comment