Tuesday, December 7, 2010

We could be friends. Maybe.

This weekend I was referred to as one of a group of some one's core friends here in Dream State. I should have been happy, or at least nonplussed.

Instead, I had this weird wave of "Wait a second, I don't know if I'm ready for the responsibility of being some one's friend. I don't know that you've known me long enough to make an educated decision about whether I'm friendworthy." And, if these people are so willing to be friends with me so easily...perhaps they are not of high quality friend material.

Perhaps it's one of those situations where we all pretend we don't know that the things on the clearance rack are there because no one else wanted them.

Apparently, not only am I phobic of romantic relationships, student loan repayment contracts, leases on apartments, insurance policies for cars living in Dream State...but I'm also phobic of committing to friends.

In my new status as 'friend', I've been invited to two parties.

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand how you feel! I would feel the same way. In fact, my first reaction was "Wow, but Abbey has only been there for a short time" (but it's been longer than I realized I think).

    I don't know about you, but I consider the bar relatively high to be a friend with someone, so when people become "friends" with me very easily or quickly, I often feel wary

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I totally get that too. I'm a very outgoing person and tend to make friends easily, but mainly it's making aquaintances - some of which have turned into REALLY good friendships over the years, others faded away.
    Enjoy it though. There's nothing like feeling that first bit of : omg, I'm being included in EVERY activity, wow, they must really like me!
    Embrase it.
    I'm still trying :)

    ReplyDelete