Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Here's what you can do with your fee

Everyday here in Dream State is an adventure. Today, I planned to tell you about the cool things I learned at my new job and blah, blah, blah...but the idea was pretty much eliminated about 3 seconds after putting my key in the front door of the new place. You see, even as I put my key in the deadbolt of the door I could feel the bottom door knob (that I don't lock) remain unmoving.

"That can't be" I thought. "I don't have a key for the door knob, so I know I didn't lock it..."

Now, being the new city dweller who knows herself well enough to know that if I go home first, I'd be eating nothing for dinner, I stopped off to do some light grocery shopping. And by light grocery shopping I mean I bought things like frozen meals for lunch, ice cream, and other frozen things. So, in realizing that I couldn't unlock my door I knew things were getting ready to be reaaaallllyyyy shitty.

First, in denial that this door knob could possibly be locked, I tried the keys I owned a few more times. Miraculously, or not, the knob remained unmoved by my efforts. Then, I double checked that I was at the right door. How awkward would that be to try to 'break in' to my neighbor's place?

No avail.

I return to the concierge's desk (whom I already knew had the away sign up) and began searching my emails for a phone number for my landlord. By the turn of bad luck for young dimwitted concierge, he was walking past the desk and received full fledged furry of my door being locked, my groceries melting, and WHO THE FUCK WAS IN MY APARTMENT!

Right. He sent me to the guy in the guard shack in charge of opening my door for the nominal fee of $15.

Oh poor dimwitt. Such the wrong words. I AM NOT PAYING for NOT locking myself out of my apartment. I have my keys. He gave me a number for management 'in the morning when they return' who will likely waive the fee but said guard gate guy had the keys.

Guard gate guy, who didn't have a firm grasp of English, wasn't sure why I was so pissed at him for locking myself out of my apartment while I had keys in hand and why I was refusing to pay his $15.

Fast forward. No one knows who entered my apartment. I didn't pay a fee. I don't know how melted my ice cream is because I decided to eat hummus, pita chips, Riesling wine, and cookies for dinner. And, I sent a pretty nasty email to the landlord about who the hell has access to my apartment and who can enter with no notice.

And, I discovered there was a note about pest control on my counter top in the kitchen.

Clearly the culprit.

So, at 9:30pm, I'm beyond exhausted. Last night I was in bed by 8:30. Jet lag seems to have kicked in without my even having to cross time zones. That, or without PC it's just not worth staying up till 10:30 anymore.

And to top it all off, I found out my puffy bed topper I ordered to put on my rock of a mattress was on hold by Overstock because they wanted to confirm my mailing, billing, and email address. Ugh. Two days shipping delay for that little joy of added security. Thanks OS!

1 comment: