Monday, August 30, 2010

Observations of joe public commuters

This morning's adventure consisted of public transportation. Part of my transition to Dream State is to try out not having a car since I'm living in a very 'walkable' area. Frankly, I've been enamored by the prospect of using the metro to commute to work since I first road it several years back.

Here's my initial observations:
  • I can totally pick out the people that are tourists. I hope I don't look too touristy.
  • The 'determined walk' from my place to the metro because despite my best intentions I to leave my place early enough to play city-girl and stop by StarSucks for my overpriced coffee and leisurely walk left me damp with perspiration that would potentially plague me all day.
  • People make the escalators too much work. I presume the just standing there would make them feel too out of control before they then stood for the next train?
  • The ride itself was a great opportunity to try to guess what people did for a living. And to read my book. And to play video games on my phone which has no internet underground apparently.
  • I foresee me being so involved with my metro activities that I may likely miss my exit. I suspect that I will not have built time into that day and being very late to work. I am hoping it's not an important meeting day.
  • Upon exiting my metro stop, there was a street performer singing "It's a beautiful world" and all seemed right with my world and my decision and I was filled with the excitement of the city. Though seriously, 8am and some guy is out singing? Find a softer box to sleep in cause it's too early to be up and be that cheery.
  • Today, due to it being a short orientation day, I got to return during non-rush hour traffic. It was again a great commute back. I dread what real commuter traffic will look like when I'm working real hours.
  • Two things stood out in my mind as potential suckage for this commuting thing: rainy days and being miserable sick. Granted my company claims they want you to stay home when you're sick but who wants to spend sick days at home when you can spend them being naughty?

1 comment:

  1. Nice work :)
    I switched locations of my morning walk to work. I always find observing other people entertaining on my way in. New homeless guy, bad-shoes with skirt-girl...
    Coffee people at certain shops in the morning...
    It's kind of interesting. But for me, I work before rush hour, so it's a more consistant crowd :)
    Congrats once again!

    ReplyDelete