Friday, July 9, 2010

Negotiations

Since today is supposed to be the day I'm finding out if I'm being extended the offer to Dream State job, I've been thinking a lot about what I want in the form of compensation. I know that many people go the approach of "I want X". I also know that if I was on the receiving end of that statement, I'd scrunch my face at the person and begin to question my extending them the offer.

In order to not be that person, I've considered both what I want and why.

I want a particular minimum salary. Though it's not an employers' problem what it costs me to live, I thought this amount out so I know that I can afford to live in Dream State. It accounts for my local mortgage (should my renters move out), rent in Dream State (which is twice current mortgage), student loan payments, basic utilities, and my typical credit card bill.

Along with this particular salary comes an organizational status. Since status is important for my credibility to those I'll be working with (per my interviewers), I can't decide whether to focus on the dollar amount or the status. Either way, I'll be arguing based on my experience - not things that could be perceived as superficial to the organization like cost of living and credibility.

Up front they've said they will support my attending my industry's annual conference. In order to attend, I must be a member. In order to be a member, I have to be a member of another related society. And, there's another society that is super related to Dream State job that I'd never pay for personally. However, I would like to ask for membership to be paid for both (all three seems greedy). All in all, only a $400 request.

Related to attending the conference already mentioned (considering registration, hotel, flight, per diem), I'd like to attend one additional conference of my choice annually. Probably more of a $3000 request for both.

What do you consider fair game in negotiations?

(In this type of an organization, vacation days and sick days are non-negotiable. Trust me, I've tried with current job)

No comments:

Post a Comment