Friday, July 2, 2010

In love

Second interview in Dream State yesterday. As I was climbing into bed out of pure exhaustion last night, it was weird to think that I'd traveled across the country (vertically, not horizontally) and back in a day.

Generally, I think it went well. I don't think I'm in love with the new supervisor, but I liked supervisor's supervisor, and super super supervisor.

I'm in love with the location - only a block from a major site and the most gorgeous gardens that scream "have lunch here!!!" And more importantly, I am in love with the job - in love in the sense that it's a text-book disaster that will provide years and years of things for me to work on.

As I was running this morning, I was kind of reflecting on yesterday. What I learned. What I saw. What I heard. What I said (damn internal critical monologue).

In sum, what makes me nervous about the job is:

I get the feeling it's kind of like when someone has gone through a bad break up, thinks they really want to be in a new relationship but isn't ready, and so when they date (i.e., interview) they ask all the questions they thought would have prevented the first breakup, and just turn out being seen as bitter by their date. I get a strong sense of hurt, disappointment, and fear around the person's decisions to leave who I'd be replacing.

My gut says yellow. My heart says green. My sense of risk avoidance says orange (more because of cost and effort to relocate).

And PC? Well, he's taken a first step towards finding new work in Dream State. Many more steps to go - but I'm proud of him nonetheless.

1 comment:

  1. That's a good analogy. I interviewed at one CC where the questions had me thinking "what HAPPENED here? How bad was the last person?"

    I interviewed yesterday too and have that inner critique going. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete