Sunday, July 25, 2010

Virtually minimizing

Now that the job is secured, notice has been given, and the fact that I will be moving in t-minus one month, I've begun doing what's been called a virtual garage sale.

Lord knows it's too freaking hot outside to get $1 for your bedroom set.

Instead, I've been taking pictures of things and posting them on our internal work listserve. It's actually been working pretty well, though a bit slower than just putting it all out on the front lawn. Yesterday was a zillion and one pictures of the kitchen stuff like mugs, place settings, crock pots, etc that we don't use and won't have room for when we cut our space down to half we currently have.

Speaking of a bedroom set, we have that and a monstrous humidor that PC thought would be cool to buy but with no actual plan to use (think 10 ft tall by 15 ft long) that just wasn't getting any bites on the work listserve. So, I resorted to Craig's List.

A little history of me and Craig's List (CL). I only discovered the website a few years back when I briefly relocated for an internship. Seems that area of the country uses it quite a bit. I rented a room with reasonable success for 6 months (the stories I could tell you about that experience) and used it to build a social circle through book clubs and women's dinner meetings.

Recently I'd heard a horrible story about a couple that was robbed via CL (and husband was killed), when trying to sell a diamond ring.

Should people sell diamond rings online via something like CL? I don't know, but where is the line of things it is ok to sell/buy from CL? And, are bedroom sets and humidors on that line?

Fast forward to current day. First, I am seeking temporary housing in Dream State until PC can find work. Safe to use CL? Not safe? I don't know anymore. But I do know the difference between doing a furnished condo in Dream State through CL versus renting directly with a 6 month lease or month to month is the difference around $500+ a  month. Second, I'm using CL to sell previously mentioned bedroom set and humidor.

Yesterday, we had a buyer come to see the humidor.

Can I just tell you how freaked out I was that the guy might just be coming to kill us or rob us?

Ah, the tenuous balance between getting reasonable money for your furniture and not ending up dead.

Ultimately, the guy bought the humidor for about $500 less than we'd listed it, but I figure that's a reasonable trade-off for letting us live. Um, I mean, not having to move it to Dream State.

Today, someone is considering coming to see the bedroom set.

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. ok, not to add to your scary CL stories but, a few months ago people around here were being car jacked because of CL. They'd want to meet new people, they'd arrange the meeting online, and then show up (usually at night). That's when they'd get jumped. That's enough to scare me to not use it. Then again, I'd be nervous going over to some stranger's house too, even if it is to look at buying something.

    ReplyDelete