Thursday, June 17, 2010

Preparation is apparently key

Huh, I don't think I thought about preparing for this phone interview. I think I figured - well, based on the 5 minute description of what they are looking for and rereading my answers to the on-line application...I'm perfect. In fact, most of time has been spent looking at apartments in Dream State, discussing how PC and I were going to swing two mortgages in Current State, and how soon I could start.

Thankfully, a few close friends at work asked me what I planned to answer to particular questions. Then, I started reading common answers to those types of questions. Which, logically led to me reading articles about phone interviews - which it turns out seem to be becoming more heavily weighed than in the past. And, I don't know why I hadn't considered that given that it is out of Current State so the decision to do a face-to-face for either party (me or them) will be more seriously considered than if I was walking down the street. But alas, at least it isn't too late. I still have time to prepare.

Reviewing my resume. Reviewing my answers to the online application (thankfully I saved a copy). Seeing if I can find anything online about the company (so far, pretty limited). And, preparing some common answers about:

Why this job?
Why not current job?
Where do I want to be in 5 years?
What's my weakness?
Why hire me?

Aside from this sounding like my dream job....I've gotta admit that after two reprimands today about things that are completely stupid...I can't wait to get out of this environment and into one where at least the work is rewarding.

1 comment:

  1. I've been asked about my long and short term goals, how the place I want to work at is similar/different than where I am/was at, and my favorite--how did my first paying job ever shape what I do today. If the company has a mission statement, keep it handy. You'll likely be asked your understanding of what they do and why it's important. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete