Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cleaning out the cobwebs

It seems counter intuitive to continue unpacking when I may be repacking in about 2 months. But, I am. Mostly now in an effort to reduce the amount of crap I have. I've been reading this book - Find More Time at Home - which turns out to be an organization book. Based on a little quiz (I love quizzes like these), my biggest time suck is paper and clutter.

Shocking. I know.

Anyway, when I think about it I'd say that I easily have 4 boxes alone for my office that contains papers and notes I used to study for my qualifying exams about 4 years ago. Honestly speaking, I have in fact referenced them since I finished the exams.

Once.

For PC because he wanted to become familiar with a particular area that is common in my industry. And, given that all my notes are divided up across 25 areas of my specialty, it was actually pretty handy.

So, I've decided to compromise. I don't want to lug these damn massive notebooks of notes that I might reference once every 4 years for the rest of my life. I especially don't want to pay to have them moved should we move to Dream State, or even dream house (if we stay here but get a new 'our' home). The compromise is (and this isn't necessarily advocated by the book, and may be a huge time suck of its own) is to scan all my articles and notes. That way, I have them and if need be reference them. But they'll be a nice compact file.

And, to make sure this isn't a huge waste of time that is lost when my computer (God help me) crashes some day, I even bought a little external hard drive to back up my stuff.

I know, I know. This is big.

No comments:

Post a Comment