Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Surreal

As I sit here this evening it is still surreal to me that I interviewed today. It is just how I spent two hours of my day and then went about my business. Does anyone else feel that way?

Anyway, structured interviews. I have heard about them but have not lived them. I think there's pros and cons about it. The cons are probably the very thing that they are intended to prevent.

A structured interview is basically a set of questions that all applicants receive and are directly linked to the job you are applying to. The interviewer asks the questions, you respond, and they move on. In this case, they also asked no follow on questions. The pro is that it's fair and it has a predefined criteria for what a good response should include. The con is that while I can do that, I find that much of my success in interviews is in building rapport and potentially getting them off topic.

So. We'll see. They said to expect to wait about 2 weeks to hear things while they finish interviewing and send recommendations up to the powers that be about who they want to hire.

Man is my current boss going to be pissed. Mean coworker and I are the only ones who do a major component of the job. A high visibility project. With Meany gone, my giving notice would not go over well.

I feel guilty in advance. But I figure, this whole application process was set into motion based on Boss' behavior. Unfortunately, self-insight isn't a strong point so I fully expect that my leaving will be seen as unprofessionalism when in fact it is getting out from under a really bad situation at a time that is not convenient to others.

4 comments:

  1. Meh, it's hard, but you have to look out for yourself. I'm glad you're feeling so confident about the process and the interviews. I felt like crap after taking a 'dream' job of my own only to get bought out by a better funded position which has actually turned out to be pretty damn good. You really never know until you try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking of you this entire time. k's right. I worry too--if I get one of the jobs I want, I have to leave in the middle of the year. I feel bad, but then I don't because I know I don't want to stay here and they need to find the right person who does. or maybe they'll realize that when the people you hire leave so soon, it's a sign. (The last person was hired last August and left by Dece.) Fingers crossed for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, K is right. It is hard but you do have to look after yourself. Don't feel guilty.

    But thank you for telling us more about structured interviews.

    ReplyDelete