Monday, February 20, 2012

It's the right thing to do

Today I spoke with a relator to start the process to short-sell my home back in home state. I have been procrastinating for days. And, I know I'm procrastinating because PC, who is notoriously not proactive, has gotten further in the process for his own property already.

Logically, it's the right thing to do. I'm losing money on it, I don't ever plan to move back in, and I don't have any moral sense of obligation to the banks. It doesn't help that the property is about 90k down from what I bought it for.

Despite the logic, as I got off the phone I had a profound sense of sadness. It wasn't supposed to happen this way. I think of the 20k of savings I plopped down when I bought it and how it's just lost. Completely the worst investment I could ever have made.

I loved my place. But it hasn't been 'my place' for a couple of years now...and I don't know why I'm so sad.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is totally normal to feel sad about the situation. I'd imagine that most people buy a house thinking that they're making a positive investment. Having to accept the loss is a tough pill to swallow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd feel sad too - and I know one day when I have to sell my lovely 'first home' for a move or relationship, I'm going to feel the same way.
    But look how far you've come! Look at the changes you've made, the places you've been and how you've found someone to share your life with in a place you've been dying to live and work.
    It's always going to be sad, that's the hard part, but at least you got to have the joy of having a home of your OWN - BY yourself!
    Be proud of the accomplishments that you have had and will continue to have.
    And have a glass of wine (or a bottle) in your old home's honour :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you. We sold our first house earlier this year. Haven't lived in it in over 3 years, and we were never moving back to that state. I was heart broken to have to sell it. We just about broke even on the sale but in the end it was the right decision to let it go.

    ReplyDelete