Monday, July 4, 2011

Step 1

Let's start off with some pleasantries. Happy 4th of July! Usually this holiday is spent having friends over, bbqing, and setting off ridiculous amounts of fireworks (for the purposes of scaring off birds of course). Sadly, this year we don't really have any friends yet. The good news, however, is that our building has probably the best roof top view of easily 3 large fireworks locations. Rather than fight the crowds, we're going to head up 8 floors on our elevator and watch from the comfort of our home. Though both good and bad - our building has limited access to only 2 persons per apartment so it should be extra pleasant. The bad part of it is that this limitation is the primary reason we didn't have our 'aquantances' over.

Well, that and PC somehow got sucked into working today. Only 1 of 2 of 150 person organization working today on something that probably won't go anywhere and even if it does he won't play a major role.

How is it that we both get the shaft at work?

Speaking of...I did something for me today. Actually, today's accomplishment has been the product of 3 days of concentration and revisions. Today, I took step 1. I submitted my CV and cover letter to a new position.

The way I see it, whether I get the call, the interview, or job or not, I am actively participating in what I hope will be a resolution to my work situation. And that active participation is step 1 to remaining happy with myself and being my own advocate. Work may continue to suck (I'm debating whether to provide some feedback to boss to reduce some suckage - not admitting I have taken step 1 to leave) but as long as I can retain hope - it will be livable.

And, if that wasn't enough 'taking care of me' for the day - I bought myself some high-end quality jeans for my now 12 pound weight loss and for my dedication to revising a resume into a CV (no easy task)*. Today, and today only (I think) Lucky Jeans have huge discounts.

*To this point, I've only used a resume and put in 'selected' publications and presentations that I felt matched the job. This was partially to be targeted, but mostly laziness. But, since this job specifies a CV and specifies that publications/presentations are a part of the job (I translate this into more of a record of pubs and presentations the better), I bit the bullet and looked for all my pubs and conference papers.

I ended up with a two page reference list.

I have to admit, as a non-academic I impressed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment