Sunday, February 27, 2011

Couple dates

(this is the part wherein I pretend I've not been silent for nearly a month after a rant)

You know what I thought I was past? Dating. Dating you say? What happened to PC you say?

PC and I are fine. We're really fine. Admittedly some bumps along the way due to the utter upheaval of our lives to move across the country and away from everything we know...add to that the joy of him getting laid off last month and the stressors (financial and mental) that go along with that.

But aside from that, we're really quite good.

So, back to the dating? I've discovered the next closest thing to hell after dating. It's called "Couple dating".
My God kill me the hell now! It's like regular dating, but actually worse. Who knew there could be something worse?

Ah yes, as if it was not hard enough to find one person you're willing to spend time with on a regular basis. Now trying to find 4 people (i.e., two couples) that all get along. Because, there's nothing quite as tough as finding a single friend and then feeling guilty that you're dragging along your significant other.*

P.s., We're sucking at couple dating.

Date 1: I'm friends with this girl at work. I really like her. Her husband is in a field kind of, but not totally, related to PC's. Work Friend and husband live within a mile of us, which is a completely walking city. We live near lots of cool restaurants. We accidentally run into Work Friend and her husband at a sports bar, get invited to join them at their table, and find all sorts of things in common. PC and I are completely 'in crush' with this couple. They suggest we get together another time, we agree, and then silence. I see Work Friend almost daily, I have suggested a couple things to do together...but nothing.

It's just like that amazing date you go on where you're pretty sure you've met the person you're going to marry...and then they never call you again and you have NO CLUE why.

Date 2: We attend this couple meetup. No, not that kind of meetup. A meetup wherein several couples got together (all of us strangers to each other) for a pot luck dinner and board games. Personally, I hate board games and pot luck almost never works out. But alas. We go. Neither of us excited, but like regular dating we know if you don't show up, you're not going to meet anyone.

Everyone pretty much sucks for one reason or another. The main reasons being we're the oldest by a good 5 years (which are apparently an important 5 years) and somehow the most educated (probably because the 5 years in age difference were spent in grad school...but I digress). Which, don't get me wrong, it's not that we're snobby about our degrees so much as we're in careers and worrying about things like taxes and mortgages and student loans and these people are just out of college and moving out of their parents houses for the first time.

With that in mind. One of the couples, we're kind of drawn to. They're the closest to our age, they're on the verge of buying a house, and they seem to have some sort of career objective. And, they think we're funny. And, they like to go to nice restaurants.

They offer to drive us home since we'd taken the metro there (blush) and on the way home they suggest we get together for dinner the following weekend.

Email exchanges between the two females of the couples...it's set. We meet there, though they offer to pick us up. You know how you don't want to risk taking one car if the date doesn't go well...

Dinner was good. Conversation was awkward. We decided they're too vanilla. I don't know exactly what that means, but basically, we're kinda eh about them. We all ended the night saying we should do this again sometime...but none of us have called.

Yeah, just like dating. I HATE dating.


* Not because I feel bad for the single person per se but rather I feel like a schmuck that I can't drag myself away from my significant other.

1 comment:

  1. I never did comment when I originally read this, but I had told Husband about this post and he said "wow, that sounds all too familiar."

    ReplyDelete