Monday, February 7, 2011

Price of a dream job

You know what's hard?

Telling the person you love who's on this side of being layed off to take a job (should it be offered) that on the outside is known to suck, have high turnover, and involve a lot of travel. Oh, and it doesn't pay well and there's no chance of promotion.

If you knew what I did for a living, you'd know why this is especially hard for me to say to someone.

But the trade off is it's in the same type of organization as mine that offers job security nearly for life, is low pressure usually, and is a stepping stone to other positions in the same type of organization.

In the meantime, having had a job I hated for nearly two years to gain the same stepping stone opportunities that PC will gain from this position, I dread dread dread watching him suffer through it. I suppose it is the price you pay for the benefits. We just didn't think the price would continue to be so very high once we got our degrees. It seems we were sold a bill of goods about getting a PhD that it would be worth it on the other side, that it would open doors.

Who knew that opening doors doesn't mean that you want what's behind door number one. Sometimes, you have to open several doors successively to be able to get the dream vacation. Or, in this case, the dream job.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh I hear your pain. I think that many of us didn't realise that we were being sold a bill of goods about getting a PhD. I've come to the conclusion that its now a matter of how we redeploy those skills.

    ReplyDelete