Thursday, March 25, 2010

Whims

On a whim, we bought massive amounts of frozen fish about a week ago. Some whim where we think it would be fun to get more fish in our diet and eat healthier.*

These whims tend to be short lived and result in us having massive amounts of random stuff in the freezer that dies a painful frost-bitten death. Evidence being the numerous bags of microwave steamed veggies I bought thinking it would encourage Prince Charming** to cook more for me due to the convenience factor.

I'll just say - there's many veggies that remain in their little steamer bags, and whenever we're restocking the freezer PC says "What's with all these veggies?"

I digress.

Anyway. Fish. So, we decided it's Fish Week in the Castle. We're on day three. Mostly because day one  (Monday) was prempted by a coworker's need for drinks and happy hour. We seldom decline.

So on our first day we started with what we knew. Tuna steaks. Some citrus seasoning on them, and grilled. With a side of grilled pineapple. The pineapple was delicious. The tuna steaks...weirdly fishy. I mean realllly fishy. We killed the taste with a few squirts of lime juice. I pretended we were at Bahama Breeze and that the taste was on purpose.

Overall, not a great start.

Last night, I scoured the WW website for recipes for flounder. And, by scour I mean I typed in 'flounder' and clicked on a few things looking for an option that didn't require a trip to the store. I ended up with the most freaking delicious flounder EVER.*** And, a side of green beans that were trying to die in the vegetable drawer.

So, tonight I'm a little worried. We're on to swordfish. I have no idea what that tastes like and the WW website seems to be lacking very many interesting recipes. Tomorrow is haddock. Or, perhaps chili-lime grilled shrimp.

Anyone else have a favorite fishy recipe?

*Full disclosure: We've been on Weight Watchers for about 2 months, so we're already bretty conscious of our foods (for better or worse).
**For those who've been reading me in past lives, I've hated the nickname I gave the boyfriend for some time. It doesn't really fit, and was born out of laziness back when we first started dating. So, I've decided with the fresh start, we'll rename him. Since I'm living with him, and this is our castle, we'll go with Prince Charming or PC for short. Besides, he is tall, dark, and handsome as a Prince Charming should be (depending on the particular cartoon you pick).
***2 tsp paparicka, 1 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp salt. Mixed and flounder dregged through it. Place flounder on stove till cooked through. Take fish out, and in drippings cook some cherry tomatoes (I used just chopped tomatoes), garlic (I used half a shallot), and some red pepper flakes. Serve tomato mixture over fish. Done.

3 comments:

  1. I very strongly dislike fish. I know it's good for me and all that but I can never get past that smell. Husband will cover it with Cajun seasoning (I mean COVER) and cook in a pan. Serve with veggies (sounds like you have plenty) and rice. I can deal with that. That's about the best I offer!

    BTW, my brother is a huge fan of the steam veggie bags. And he'd eat the fish plain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to cut down on meat intake and increase fish...So far, limited success. My favourite fish is salmon. I make this cajun seasoning that is really good. The recipe makes about a small mason jar worth of seasoning and it lasts me a few months, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By far my favorite salmon recipe. Mom almost makes a great 'Santa Fe Salmon'.


    Salmon Cakes with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Salmon-Cakes-with-Lemon-Yogurt-Sauce-243164

    ReplyDelete