Monday, September 12, 2011

Decision isn't a decision until there's an option

Last week I interviewed for the second time with this particular company - this time in person. It was a long day of meeting someone new in the company every half hour or so. I started off the day with an activity I'd do on the job - a case study so to speak. Mid-day I had lunch with someone I'd supervise. And I concluded the day with the CEO. Somehow that last interview went from a scheduled hour to several hours. I attribute this extension more to his liking to talk than to me per se. Overall, I'd say I got along with about 50% of the people I spoke to - the other 50% were awkward (I'm not sure if that's my fault or theirs). It's a relatively small company so I'd say I met around half of everyone there.

I fully expect an offer.

I think the job would be interesting. It would be back to a lot of analysis and a heavy emphasis on publishing - which I haven't been doing much of lately.

Here's the weird thing about it. I'm hesitant about the job because I keep thinking - I hate analysis. I hate writing. Yet, in every job outside of my graduate work I've looked for opportunities to gather data and publish. So, it's hard to say I actually hate it. Furthermore because my coworkers at my current job have integrated 'data' into my nickname.

I enjoyed the experience of interviewing (I almost always do). I like the location it's in - lots of shopping, cute places to eat, trendy - though the location is kind of a pain from a commuting perspective. I like the topic area of the company. I believe them when they say they are growing rapidly and well positioned when this particular niche becomes even more prominent.

And I keep thinking "I just cannot stay where I am" so this HAS to be better.

Today I came to the realization that perhaps I'm so so because I'm positioning it as either-or in my head. I wonder if I had other options if this would make this position more or less attractive. That said, I don't really know how to look for jobs other than those on my professional society website. Monster etc are completely useless in my experience. I can't mention it on linkedin because current coworkers are linked to me. I've gone to the websites of some of the places I know hire my type of skills but there's nothing that jumps out.

I guess the decision isn't a decision until an option presents itself to make a decision about.

Or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment